£650,000 Guide price
Strathaird House was at one time the principal house on the Strathaird Estate. The Strathaird peninsula was historically a heartland of Clan Mackinnon. The Strathaird Estate was sold in 1978 by the Johnston family to Ian Anderson - a well known musician with Jethro Tull. The estate was then purchased by the John Muir Trust in 1994 and the Trust also own the neighbouring estates of Torrin and Sconser. Strathaird House has been in separate ownership since the mid 1970's.
Replacing an earlier Mackinnon house, unusually the present day house comprises two houses set side-by-side as one, the west portion being built around 1790 and the east part is built in a lovely Georgian style and was completed in 1827. The houses have been joined at ground floor level.
In 1824 the geologist John MacCulloch explained this rather unconventional arrangement: the older house (now stripped of harling) was externally ' fair, and large, and new, and clean' but inside 'the masonry was bad, and therefore the owner would not allow the house to be finished'. Although he might have had it rendered water-tight for ten pounds', he started instead to build a new house beside it, a neat Georgian box similar to Upper Ostaig. Re-visiting a few years later, MacCulloch found the new house 'standing by the side of the original, like a calf by its cow; the same bare gable, exposed to the same never ending rains, and all things else fitting. Whether it smoked and leaked also, no one knew; for he could not be "fashed" to leave the old one'. Over the subsequent years both houses have been altered and extended. In 2004 the current owners undertook and completed an almost total refurbishment of the house.
Strathaird House is approached by a tree lined tarmac surfaced driveway which is about 200 yards long. At the top of the drive there are attractive circular stone pillars on either side of wrought iron gates. The gates open into the garden and grounds that surround the house. The driveway opens to a spacious gravelled area in front of the house where there is car parking for number of cars. The house looks out over the front lawns and gardens which contain herbaceous borders and many fine tree and shrubs.
The principal rooms are within the Georgian part of the house and enjoy classical elegant Georgian features and design.
The house was extensively refurbished and modernised in 2004 and now provides very easily managed and comfortable accommodation over about 3,800 sq.ft.
This house description is based upon information supplied by the owner, or on behalf of the owner. These property particulars are produced in good faith and do not constitute or form part of any contract. s1homes do not take any responsibility for the accuracy of the information contained in this document.
If a property value displays '0', don't worry it just means no properties have been sold in that area during that time.
Sold house price data is supplied to us by the Registers of Scotland, a government department responsible for compiling and maintaining property registers, every month. There can be a delay of up to 3 months from when a property is sold to being recorded with Registers of Scotland. We provide house price data for your information only, we do not accept any liability for any errors. If you have noticed any incorrect information, please contact Registers of Scotland.